5 Tips for Intermittent Fasting Beginners
There is a wealth of information out there regarding intermittent fasting (IF) so I wanted to write this article to quickly give beginners some valuable tips.
- Intermittent Fasting is like weight lifting start slowly and build up to longer fast. Take your time and listen to your body. Keep in mind you are new to this way of eating. You don’t have to fast every day if it’s too much for you. If you don’t stick to your window and open it early sometimes that’s ok too. Remember IF is flexible.
- Start out fasting by skipping breakfast. Wake up and try to hold out for as long as you can without eating breakfast. This is a great way to start. I recommend doing this for at least 30 days or until you feel comfortable skipping breakfast. Listen to your body!
- You have skipped breakfast and it’s 9:00 a.m. You are starving! Hunger comes in waves so try to ride the wave. Take a walk, call a friend, drink a glass of water. If you are at work, tackle that big project you have been putting off. Before you know it, lunchtime will arrive.
- Remember when your window is closed drink unsweetened black coffee, tea and water. If you drink anything else it will take you out of your fasted state. Your insulin will spike and that will defeat the purpose of IF.
- Be present in the moment of eating when your window opens. Cut off the t.v., put your phone down, stay off of your laptop. Enjoy your meal. Pay attention to your body in order to learn when you are full. When you are full STOP eating. Even if you only a corner left of your sandwich if you are full don’t eat it.
Follow the tips listed above. They will definitely assist with your transition to intermittent fasting.